Kingsworn Chapter 1: An Unlikely Alliance

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture
Kingsworn Chapter 1: An Unlikely Alliance

The Wenchquench Inn: ten miles west of the border between the Holy and Undead Kingdoms

Sir Breckhold grimaces as he is assailed by the odors of hard liquor and other less identifiable scents. He walks toward the ill-maintained inn, one hand on the hilt of his sword. Reaching the door, he opens it and as was once his custom, waits for the Lady Shivalia to enter first. She favors him with a slight inclination of the head and glides into the tavern. They make their way to the nearest vacant table and begrudgingly take their seats.

They sit in silence, surveying the room in hopes or perhaps fear of finding someone to aid them. Their funds and bodies exhausted from the long journey, they have but their keen blades and battleworn armor on their side. No one even seems to notice them. It even takes some twenty minutes before a serving girl comes to take their order. They chance the local food, and are pleasantly surprised to find it juicy and filling, though they hesistate to ask just what it is.

The door opens abruptly and a well-fed man in merchant garb walks in, followed by a man in a dark gray hooded traveller's robe.

timelord
timelord's picture

Clatier: *coughs and looks around* "Nice place; lets rest here for a couple minutes. I have some urges to fulfill." *Takes out a piece of paper* "We're almost at the meeting point. I hope those idiots didn't go somewhere else." *coughs and takes out a money bag* "Care for a drink, Sevvrys?"

Yubar09
Yubar09's picture

Sevvrys scans the tavern slowly and silently as Clatier speaks. Sensing Clatier's impatience he responds: Water. I'd rather poison my foes, not drink it myself.
Sevvrys pauses and fixes his stare on the two patrons of the holy kingdom
His icy stare widens as he looks the two knights over.
"Would they by chance be our party?" He states, eyes still in a trance like stare.

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture

Sir Breckhold rises, reaching for the hilt of his sword. Shivalia's gentle touch on his wrist is all that compells him to stay his hand.

"Remember," she chastens quietly, "This close to Unydon, our kind is not in the majority."

Breckhold shudders as his eyes pass over his would-be-foe, a rune-marked practicioner of the dark arts. He chooses instead to meet the gaze of the portly merchant, "We hear tell of a man in need of hearty sword arms. If you are he, then here we are."

Shivalia nods in cautious agreement, leaning forward to listen.

Yubar09
Yubar09's picture

Sevvrys' head tilts as the knight speaks, his eyes once glowing a ghostly blue now dim to their natural state. As he tunes out the introduction, his gaze then smoothly passes to the female knight where his eyes set. He lets a small, crooked grin crack through his pale, thick skin. He appreciates her subtlety as she nods gently.
"The girl, Clatier, she will do...there's no need for this brash bafoon" he states arrogantly turning to his colleague, with nearly turning his entire back to the male knight.

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture

(Out of character: Epic!)

"This 'brash baffoon' is my travelling companion, and I'll thank you to treat him with respect," the woman counters in a mild tone that belies her harsher words. She walks past the dark one and stands before the merchant, proffering her hand. "Lady Shivalia, at your service."

Breckhold merely shakes his head in disbelief.

Yubar09
Yubar09's picture

Sevvrys takes smooth a step back from Clatier as Shivalia approaches in an ethereal like fashion. He looks towards the ground, crosses his hands behind his back and chuckles softly.
"As if to prove my point..." He mutters underneath his breath, his voice soft, almost as if he was talking to himself.

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture

Sidebar (We'll use these for 1-1 conversations where the third person is not on. Then we can decide later whether to include them in the "official" version.):

Breckhold pulls Sevvrys aside and, fighting back repulsion, begins to speak, "It looks like we're going to have to work together here, and against my better judgement, I will go with you, but if you hurt one hair on Lady Shivalia's head..." He lets his voice trail off, hoping to instill some healthy fear. He notices right away it has had little or no effect as his gaze is met squarely.

Yubar09
Yubar09's picture

Sidebar cont.

Sevvrys gently removes Breckhold's hand away from his.
"You have much to learn about the world outside of the capital, ex-guard " Sevvrys says, breaking eye contact and turning away from Breckhold once again to face the other two.
"Away from the front lines of the war, our land of origin does not define us...I would not benefit from touching your grungy hair nor hers..."
Sevvrys' intense stare becomes affixed on Shavalia again as he bathes in the tension exuding from Breckhold.
"There is no glory here knight..only reward...so you can save the pomp and circumstance for a sorcerer who actually cares"

timelord
timelord's picture

*coughs* Ahem.. *pulls out knife* don't start a fight now gentleman...*hands Sevvrys the knife* use this, if you can. *Takes a quick glance at the knights* These guys look able. Would you mind..*cough* if we add these powerful hands to our little party? The more the merrier.*looks at Breckhold* Hmm...

Yubar09
Yubar09's picture

Sevvrys takes the knife and rolls his eyes...
"I have a much better one I assure you" He says under his breath as his colleague begins ease the air in his usually, and to Sevvrys, annoying fashion.

timelord
timelord's picture

Very well *Grabs the knife* I really do believe you have a better one, and that's good. *Looks at the knights and crosses his arms* *low whisper* Can we trust them? I would really like their swords. I have enough for all of you...

Yubar09
Yubar09's picture

"Trust them?" Sevvrys whispers, his voice full of satire as he walks closer "What makes you so sure you can even trust me?" he chuckles as he brushes off his own dark humor.
"Well you've seen what I can do, if only there were some way to test their skills, since it seems we will be forced to take the entire package or none at all.." he ponders, hand on chin.

timelord
timelord's picture

*chuckle* I see where your going..*casts an amused glance at the knights* I don't know how we can..*cough* What do you suggest?

Yubar09
Yubar09's picture

I'm sure an opportunity will present itself in time, and seeing as neither you or I are adept with a shield nor sword, they might make good temporary walls if nothing else.

timelord
timelord's picture

Well, be friendly to them..for now. We don't want to attract attention from..those guys..*cough*..ah..*cough* I'm getting water.. talk to these guys..*walks away*

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture

The Kingsworn converse between themselves, and after a moment, Shivalia turns back to Clatier, draws her sword, hilt toward him. Begrudgingly, Breckhold does likewise. "Our swords are yours," he declares, "To where do we travel, my liege?"

A shrill anguished cry is heard outside the inn.

Shivalia speaks, moving toward the door, sword drawn, "It seems we must cut our negotiations short, gentlemen. Pleased to be of service."

"And in exchange, you can start by picking up our tab!" Breckhold bursts out into the open air just ahead of Shivalia.

END CHAPTER 1

Thoughts: Perhaps we can compile these together into a single post and clean them up a bit. Next we'll have an encounter. It'll be told as a narrative line, but we'll quantify it to see how the stats work out. Each Round will consist of one action/post from each character and then the enemy will get to attack. We'll try it without too much fuss first then clean it up.

Breckhold 3/2 with Armor 1 and Whenever he casts a holy spell, he gains +1 attack.
Learned 1 copy of Holy Blessing Which gives him +1 HP and +1 Armor for the rest of combat, as well as his passive, making him a 4/3 with Armor 2 +longsword 5/3 +Iron Shield 5/7 effectively

Shivalia 3/2 with Armor 1 and Whenever she casts a holy spell, she gains +1 attack
Learned 1 copy of Heal (2 points) and 1 copy of Cleanse (cure status effect).
W/gear 4/5 with Armor 1

Merchant (Built from Portly Friar) 1/4. Mystery Sack May choose 1 Common or Uncommon Gear per Chapter.
Learned 1 Encourage and 1 Holy Blessing

Sevvrys (Built from Undying Accolyte) 1/3 On death: becomes 1/1 skelton with Dust Fallen Allies become 1/1 skeletons with dust (reversible with Holy Grail, and maybe Cleanse)
W/ Diffusion Blade
2/3 on attack enemy caster loses 1 spell.

Thoughts?

timelord
timelord's picture

Awesome! I love this! ^__^

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture