Tone and maintaining a fun playing environment.

1 post / 0 new
Grrwaaa
Grrwaaa's picture
Tone and maintaining a fun playing environment.

It has been several years since I wrote the online chat guidelines. I spoke about many of the planks with Antic, although they gave me wide creative license there.

I felt at the time that the single most important guideline I had was this:
"4) Do not publicly accuse another player of cheating. Players reputations take a long time to build and can be destroyed quickly. If you suspect a player is cheating, send an email to kingdomsccgsupport@ganz.com with all the information you have pertaining to the suspected behaviour and action, if warranted, will be taken."

(the email address has since been updated)

I still think this is the most important online chat guideline and it should equally apply to forum posts.

Cheat is a heavily loaded word. In competitive games, if one is labeled a cheat, it pretty much will ruin you for life there whether or not it is actually true.

I was really sad when I saw a thread calling out players as cheats. I really wanted to change the title of the thread and lock it right then and there, but I saw Karl was already posting in the thread, and so deferred, as it has always been my personal policy to not lock or alter threads while a developer is actively involved in the thread.

I did ask, very nicely, that the players involved change their tone and stop using the "C" word.

PLEASE, moving forward, refrain from public accusations of cheating. You can describe what a player had done, but don't call them cheats. Feel free to e-mail support with evidence. Accuse them of cheating to Karl or support if you must. There is no need to do it publicly.

In the future, I will immediately delete any thread that names another player or guild as "cheats"

Thank you.