KCCG Fan Novel (untitled) Chapter I

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
illuminaughty
illuminaughty's picture
KCCG Fan Novel (untitled) Chapter I

this is a piece of a novel/short story i decided to write using characters and cards from KCCG.i will probably write it in parts of a chapter, as a single chapter may be very long. i am open for suggestions, critque, ideas, feedback, and help writing :) if you like it i will write more, if not, well ok. COMMENT FOR MOAR!

KCCG Novel (untitled) by illuminaughty

Chapter I

Part I - An Old Friend

Amorya waited outside the crypt. She was cold.
“Late as usual…” she thought to herself. She looked around: the cemetery was lifeless. As a trained assassin, Amorya’s ability to detect a creature’s presence was amplified. All she could sense was the smell of rotting corpses.
Amorya wrapped her cape around her. She was an average height for a young woman, with the body of an athlete. Her thigh high leather, armour plated boots covered most of her long, slender legs. Around her hips hung a short, leather miniskirt which allowed for flexibility. A leather corset fit snugly around her bust and back, to which her long blonde hair flowed down. She had plump lips and icy blue eyes. You could say she had a natural beauty, but it isn’t wise to say that to a cold-blooded killer.
Her Hero Ring glistened in the moonlight as Amorya reached into her hidden sleeve pocket, fingering the hilt of her Glaive. Suddenly a voice broke the eerie silence.
“Careful with that…”
In one swift movement Amorya’s cape whirled as she unsheathed her weapon and spun around, pressing the point one of the Glaive’s blades to her intruder’s neck.
“You might hurt yourself,” said the dark figure, who firmly gripped Amorya’s wrist.
“You always like to make an entrance, don’t you?” Amorya said through her teeth. She didn’t lower the blade.
“I always like to see if I can surprise you,” said Shadow, grinning, as he lowered her arm.
“You know I hate surprises,” Amorya exclaimed, “you shouldn’t be creeping around this forsaken place anyways. I could’ve killed you!”
“You should’ve,” Shadow mocked, “what if I had been a Swift Ghoul? I had a nasty run in with a family of Imps on my way here, and I had to sneak past a Reeking Fleshbag who smelled like a piece of-”
“Alright, you’ve made your point,” stammered Amorya, already recovering from her slip, “now come and help me remove the seal on this tomb. Wilrius said we must be gone from this place before sunlight!”
“As you wish.”
Amorya and Shadow had a bit of history; they were from the same guild and had trained together. The word “trained” is used modestly, as the preparation that they went through would make the local Field Recruiter look like a Peasant, and would even intimidate a Temple Guard. Since children, they were put to extreme tasks under harsh conditions. They learned to maximize their pain threshold, meditate in chaotic environments, and dominate in all forms of combat. They also mastered the art of stealth, agility, and (like all Heroes) the ability to summon creatures from their own life force. They were not the only Heroes from their kingdom who had participated in this training, but they were the only ones who had survived.

illuminaughty
illuminaughty's picture

Part 2 - A Quest

As soon as they removed the barrier of the tomb, Amorya and Shadow entered the catacomb. The moonlight partially illuminated the mouth of a long corridor, whose walls were composed (or decomposed) of skeletal remains. Skulls, femurs, and tibias followed the hallway into an eternal darkness.
“Here, take this,” Shadow said as he handed Amorya a lit Torch. “It will serve as our light as well as protect us against foul creatures.” They journeyed up the corridor.
In the faint light, Amorya examined Shadow. He hadn’t changed. He was a tall figure wrapped in darkness; a mask covered his entire face. His footsteps on the hard, stone floor were silent; Amorya wondered if he was even human anymore, or if he ever was human.
Shadow had arrived at Amorya’s guild one day without any warning as a young adolescent. He came alone, and covered in wounds. For the first three months he hadn’t spoken to anyone. Then, one day, he asked the guild master for training. Even though she had eaten with him, practiced with him, and slept under the same roof, the man was still shrouded in mystery.
“Shadow, what drew you to come here with me?” Amorya questioned.
“What kind of question is that?” he responded.
“I haven’t seen you in years, since we were at war with the Gnomes,” she replied. “You haven’t joined me on any other jobs since then.”
“I find my own work so I can fund my own needs,” Shadow stated.
“But there is no guarantee we will be paid for this quest,” Amorya said, hesitantly, she didn’t want to provoke him.
“There is a difference between a job and a quest. A job involves sacrificing your time and effort, where the compensation is gold. What is the gold for? To enjoy the time when you are not working, to let you use as little effort as possible. A quest is not the same. A quest has no estimated time, and costs an infinite abundance of energy. A quest can yield all of the gems in the kingdom, or simply the satisfaction that you completed it.”
Amorya did not like it when he answered her indirectly. She gave him a puzzled look.
Then she collected herself as she could feel something moving towards them. Shadow felt it too, he wielded his Shadow Dagger in a hand that was empty a moment before.
“Prepare yourself,” said Shadow, sternly.
Amorya equipped her Glaive, closing her eyes as she squeezed the hilt tight.
Two Plague Beetles swarmed out of the darkness. Brandishing their claws, they scurried for Shadow. The air chilled as it solidified before him in an outline of a bear. Shadow’s Black Bear lunged at the first Beetle ripping it to shreds. The second Beetle, wary of the threat, decided to head for Amorya instead.
Amorya kept her eyes closed. She entered a void, a place where she ruled over her fears and imagination. In her thoughts she envisioned herself with a Wooden Shield. When she opened her eyes, the Shield appeared in her left hand, as if it had always been there. The Plague Beetle bounced off of her Wooden Shield, right into the path of the Black Bear, who mauled it with a sweep of his claw. Without notice, the two Beetles burst into flames, causing the Bear to disintegrate into a pile of bones. The hot flames licked Amorya’s Wooden Shield, burning it to ash, and she heard Shadow shout a curse.
“Damn!”
“You alright?” she asked.
“Minor scratch, let’s keep moving.”

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture

(Moved to RP section. Thanks mods.)

illuminaughty
illuminaughty's picture

oh, thats what you meant! should i delete this then and repost it there?

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture

(null)

illuminaughty
illuminaughty's picture

Part 3 - The Chamber

As they continued down the rotting corridor, Amorya sensed something strange. She could hear an echo in the walls, coming from the bones themselves. It was a harsh echo, almost like an evil, sinister laugh. The light from her torch revealed twisted, ivory faces with haunting smiles. Shadow noticed this too.
“This is a place of nightmares,” he said, “I’d hate to be stuck down here.”
“The tomb seals at dawn,” replied Amorya. “We will become part of this twisted architecture if we do not make haste.”
Just as her words were uttered, they reached the end of the corridor. The hall opened into a small, dimly lit chamber. Amorya could just about make out three figures standing around an altar in the middle of the room, emanating a monotonous hum. On the altar was placed a book, drenched in a scarlet liquid. Amorya grimaced. Candles with dancing flames cast creepy images onto cavern walls. Empty goblets, rusted armour, broken jewelry, and cracked pottery littered the floor.
“Two Priestesses and a Hexing Warlock,” whispered Shadow, “They haven’t noticed us yet. This time we can attack first.”
Amorya nodded in agreement, and once again shut the world out. She reached into her mind to focus on a sharp arrowhead, followed by the shaft, bow, and the man holding it. Her thought shattered as a Mindpierce Ranger apparated in front of her. Shadow summoned a Rabid Wolf.
Shadow’s Wolf launched itself at one of the Zombie Priestesses, ripping out her throat. She let out an undying scream, and a purple flame engulfed them both. The Warlock turned in anger to face them, and cast a hex at the Mindpierce Ranger. Just as the hex was cast, the Ranger notched his bow and released, sending an arrow into the forehead of the Warlock. The Warlock crashed back into the altar, knocking the book over, while his hex plummeted into the Ranger’s heart. Both collapsed into a pile of bones.
Without warning, the remaining Zombie Priestess shot a bolt of purple flames toward Amorya. She tried to dodge, but the flame singed her left shoulder, burning through the leather.
“Oh, you like to play with fire?” Amorya said, recovering quickly. “Burn, baby, burn!” she yelled, as she picked up her Torch and tossed it at the Priestess, watching her oozing flesh melt from her bones.
“That was hot,” said Shadow.
Before Amorya could retort, a loud rattling filled the room. She watched as bones from the dead creatures began to animate and reassemble. In a matter of seconds, two Skeletons formed from the corpses and began to advance toward the assassins. Amorya withdrew her Glaive, and Shadow had his Shadow Dagger ready.
The first Skeleton attacked Amorya. It tried to swing a bony fist at her, but she ducked easily. She danced around the monster as it tried to punch her, however, she was all too quick. In an acrobatic move, Amorya flipped over the Skeleton’s head, spun her wrist, arm, and torso, and whacked the creature with a spinning Glaive shot. The Skeleton crumbled upon impact, bones turning to dust.
The second Skeleton picked up an empty goblet, and started swinging it wildly at Shadow. Shadow ducked left, and then right, and left again. With one kick to the leg, Shadow cracked the Skeleton’s shin into a splinter. Falling to one knee, the Skeleton cried out in incomprehensible pain. With one swift strike, Shadow brought his dagger down into the Skeleton’s skull, tearing through it. The rest of the body detached from the skull and crashed to the ground. Shadow flicked his wrist to clean his blade, sending the scalp skidding across the room.
Sheathing her weapon once more, Amorya rushed over to the altar to examine the book lying below it.
“It’s in another language,” she stated.
“It looks like some sort of ritual,” Shadow reasoned. “What kind of sadistic rite is the Prince of the Damned planning?”
“And what is with all these old relics around the room?” Amorya wondered. “They look like they belonged to someone of importance.”
“When a king is buried,” Shadow explained, “their possessions are buried with them. This must be the sepulcher of an old Hero of long ago, maybe even before the Wrath of the Gods.”
“I will bring this book back to Wilrius, along with this ornament…” Amorya picked up a necklace that she found underneath the book, “…and see if he can translate.”
“I’m afraid if we idle here any longer we will never see him again, as you’ve said before,” replied Shadow. “Come, let us venture onward.”

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture

(null)

LeumasBansu
LeumasBansu's picture

(null)