Immortal anti-rush

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Diomedes
Immortal anti-rush

Kalishikov has shown us the power of immortal + rune tome. With the rune tome buff, this becomes a total counter to damage rush. Note only 1 epic card is needed.

Hero: Doesn't matter, Noran or Drav seem best.
Combo(17): 1 immortal 4 study gear 4 rune tome 4 duplicate 4 wise owl
Draw(12): 4 deep thought 4 wonder 4 demonic thoughts
Kill mechanism(1): 1 mind restorer (other things work too)
Spare(10): rejuves, healing, or mill for a faster kill.

The chance of drawing immortal, study gear, or rune tome in your first 6 cards is 1 - (31 6) / (40 6), which is a whopping 80.8%. Use of the drawing cards raises that further, and more copies of immortal would raise it over 90%. So this deck does not go down to rush, immortal is in play by turn 2.

Wise owl fetches back immortal, note that runes go to discard immediately when played. Or can make a duplicate work twice.

This is a hard counter to rush. Jorma can only deal with this by running a rune word, silence and powerless are quite good.

Credit to Kalishikov again for the idea.
Edit: Credit to e797880 for an immortal mill deck as well. =]
http://forum.kingdomsccg.com/?q=node/1811

Freakazoid
Freakazoid's picture

Good deck! Will be even better once Rune Tome draws the next Rune Word from your deck (after the next patch)

markmistr
markmistr's picture

Nice! An actual way to counter those nasty arcanos spell blitz decks. However, you can only run 2 epics in limited. Now I am wishing they would expand epics in limited to 3 or 4.....

Redexa

Study gears don't work on runes, do they? Otherwise you'd think it would be study rune lol. In which case you probably want 4 immortals until rune tome gets buffed to draw a rune when it's played -- in which case it should be increased to at least 2 mana cost imo.

He also used recoils, pacify's, and thought destroyers. Pacify really neutralizes tough heroes like Noran who don't have so much elemental removal, and play high mana cost creatures. I think it's the most annoying card in his deck tbh, you can't leave that one out :p The close calls I've come to winning against him were thwarted by his constant pacify's lol.

I run a 2.2k rating deck and I lose 4/5 times to his deck -- it works. But, he says he often loses to rush decks like Jorma -- I never understood how his rating was always 2.0-2.1k running that deck, yet I could almost never win lol. So it isn't exactly an anti rush deck... rather, it's the opposite. It's an anti-nonrush deck lol. Players who can't rush this mill deck fast enough will fall at the mercy of rune tome and immortal.

Diomedes

Study gear works on Rune Tome. Rune tome fetches your rune word.

Redexa

Oh I see, yeah the update will change that. Then I guess it's worth considering. Though if you use 4 rune tome and 4 immortal alone, you'd definitely be able to get an immortal before you die -- without the study gear. But the study gear is still worth it for drawing extra rune tomes I guess, because they are actually more important than the immortal itself xD

Dr.Bojangles
Dr.Bojangles's picture

Using study gear to draw rune tomes seems like wasted mana/card space if you ask me. Also how to plan on finishing the game. If your not using a mill strat then the opponent will just set up for when immortal eventually runs out and it will be up to you to have a better field/hand than he does. If you are milling the study gear might be usable to pull your mill gear but im still not sure about it even with the buff. Either way i look forward to seeing it.

Redexa

Yes. I remember setting up for when immortal eventually ran out. 4 rune tomes + 4 duplicates means 8 possible rune tomes, and on a noran who draws cards so fast, they get them out pretty fast. Immortal lasts 2 turns for each player. 4 rune tomes would mean it lasts 6 turns for each player. Imagine 5 or 6. Then imagine 2, 3, or 4 immortals. Then imagine thought destroyers, and if you run Noran yourself. I was always milled out by around turn 15, while my opponent had an immortal or two to spare. :) Sadly, waiting for immortal to run out isn't a great option, you'll find that it just doesn't. xD The only times I won were when my opponent hadn't drawn immortal yet and I rushed to kill him and golemnify my pacified creatures as fast as I bloody well could lol.

I even put 2 torture's in my deck to beat it, but I didn't play against the same guy again and took them back out -.- And go figure eh, Echo Blast on rune tomes doesn't stop Immortal, it makes it go into negative turns, and then it disappears on the next turn. That should be a bug >.>

Anyway the new Forge will probably be the end of the Immortal deck(maybe).

Dr.Bojangles
Dr.Bojangles's picture

Yea i bought then added an equalize to my deck just to counter runes like immortal. Its worked out pretty well in other situationa so far so i kept it.

markmistr
markmistr's picture

Why not just play QDC Noran with an Immortal side strategy? Mostly the same cards you use for QDC anyways.

Dr.Bojangles
Dr.Bojangles's picture

thats not a bad idea. QDC is perfect for a finisher and you can use it to prevent the opponent from setting up creatures to wait out the rune.

victorre

Here's the thing about immortal. All the aggro decks have to do is tech in Torture (or honestly any other rune word) to counter your strategy. UNLESS you're going the mill route and can force the enemy's rune words into the discard.

markmistr
markmistr's picture

Which is why I feel that rune words will continue to be niche unless more mechanics are introduced. A way needs to be introduced to either have more than 1 in play or a way to prevent your rune word from being overwritten.

Dr.Bojangles
Dr.Bojangles's picture

I like the way rune words work now. I added equalize myself to deal with immortal and other runes but i only run one because its a minor issue. Unless Immortal becomes the new rejuve i don't think you have to worry about everyone rushing to counter it.