Belnir newbie deck suggestions

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
metalchopper
Belnir newbie deck suggestions

Hello!

I bought my t2 char like two days ago and I've started playing limited. The problem is I'm contantly getting pounded by gear decks with a lot of duplicate and they hurt a lot. I also have some promlem with spell decks when playing against such. Here are my cards and I hope to receive some advices on how to improve my deck. I'd like some suggestions on what cards to put in my deck or a whole Belnir deck suggestions.

3xBlack Bear
3xGatling Gnome
3xSteel Beak
1xMana Sprite
1xPortly Friar
2xRabid Wolf
1xTemple Warrior
2xWard Mage
2xDwarven Battle Rig
1xFaithful Worshiper
1xGrand Summoner
1xGreat Fire Elemental
1xThundercat
1xVengeful Titan
1xWar Mammoth

2xEternal Flight
3xFirebolt
2xHoly Blessing
3xShater
2xShrivel
1xRelinquish
1xSmelt
1xLightning Bolt
1xHailstorm
1xScatter Ashes

Inara_Seraph
Inara_Seraph's picture

I would get rid of the Great Fire Elemental, really is of no use in a Belnir deck. Scatter Ashes conflicts with your own corpse removal hero ability, so I wouldn't bother with that either. Eternal Flight is also pretty situational, and I'm not a fan of War Mammoth either; splash rarely finds use. Cards you might consider adding (that aren't rares); Demo Golem, Steel Titan, Essence Mantle, Selfless Adept, Purifying Light, Ancient War Mask, Field Recruiter, Blessed Tome, Nimble Fae, Wizard Ward, Gift of the Mystics.

Redexa

Scrap the black bears if you can, a 2/2 with no special ability isn't that great at all. even swift ghouls or goblin depleters would be better.

Hailstorm, scatter ashes, eternal flight, fire elemental, and relinquish are all big no's. Hail hurts your own monsters, eternal flight is too mana costly for a small ability on creatures in your deck that aren't even that strong to be worth giving flying to. elemental hurts your own creatures and is fireball fodder; only worth using if you have 4 haste in your deck. relinquish saps your precious abilities; it gives mana sure, but at a heavy price; scatter ashes takes away the corpse that you need for your ability too, not too helpful. Ancient ritual would be better because it has potential to grant you tons of mana :)

Get some siphon's in there. they can really throw your opponent off if you hold onto one or two and use them right when your opponent makes a move -- expecting that on your turn your charges won't be up. A lot of people will try to pull off a big move to destroy your monster(s) so you can't use your ability to buff it, or heal yourself from your corpse, and often put themselves at jeopardy by banishing cards or using up all their mana by doing so. A siphon could really throw them off after that :)

Portly friar is a bad card too, use fleshbags instead if you can. though they aren't exactly amazing either. You want more higher damage cards like vengeful/demo golem/temple warrior, or you don't have a good way to compete against enemies with 3+ hp and/or armor.

Ward mage too isn't that great... easy to kill and I find enemies often juggle them around to avoid them getting killed, and lose quite a bit of HP in the process. Unless you're mana-happy with a t2 that starts with/gains mana more easily, like arcanos/wiloryn, you'll be pretty tight for mana and won't want to spend 3 on a card which is ultimately used to buff other cards. You don't have a whole lot of mana to be making big plays and buffing your creatures with resist, it'll be hard to get more than 2 creatures out at once if your enemy is fighting back. But, you don't have a whole lot of options I'm assuming; ideally wizards ward is better, but it's a rise uncommon and not the easiest to get a hold of 2. just 1 is unreliable and in at least half your battles or more you'll never see it, so being so inconsistent wouldn't be that helpful.

Try and get some more lightning bolts in there, or use inner fire(rise uncommon) if you have them, it takes 1 hp and converts it into dmg, ignoring armor and resist. excellent for taking out 1 hp creatures, or buffing your own 1/3 1/4 creatures to be able to kill an enemy monster/deal extra damage, if you can't use them on the enemy.

Grand summoner is useless in your deck too. You hardly have any creatures worth over 3 mana, and one of them(faithful worshipper) is only used to buff your more vulnerable creatures with high damage -- meaning it's much less effective on creatures that have 1 attack which are usually already tanky enough.

Inara's suggestions are good. essence mantles, steel titans, demo golems, nimble fae, and wizard ward i all like the sound of. I find gift of the mystics too situational, as it only benefits if you use at least 2 cards after it -- otherwise it's a free mana if banished. Virtuous Light, Blessed Tome, Ancient war mask, and Nimble fae are all rise uncommons though, might be hard getting them. War mask, blessed tome, and virtuous light all rely on your creatures SURVIVING until the beginning of your next turn, otherwise they are completely useless. As such, I don't think they are that great, as most of your deck is just fireball/ghoul fodder. If you had more 3+ HP powerful cards like vengeful titan, demo golem, deathless wyvern, etc, they would be much better indeed.

depleter, dirty fuel, infused wyrm, deplete, inner fire, ice elemental, warpath elf, and fae mischief are some decent rise uncommons you could use. noxious golem, zombie priestess, spell bridge, and pacify are some notable eve uncommons.

demo golem, golemnify, steel titan, ghouls, lightning elementals, and air elementals are all decent uncommon core cards you could use. battle rig, vengeful titan, thundercat, deathless wyvern, fireball, hero ring, captain of the guard and fae's charm are all some useful rares you could add to your deck, or keep copies of in it. I know there's a limit, but still :)

Don't bother getting eve or rise packs yet, you won't find many rares and there's only a handful of useful uncommon/common cards. strengthening your deck until you get all the best core rares you need to reach your rare limit in limited first would be ideal, then you can worry about eve or rise.

Verbannon
Verbannon's picture

Redexa, there is a problem with like 50% of your suggestions. Its a Belnir deck. Can't use undead.

Redexa

Umm okay, so no swift ghouls or fleshbags? How is 2 cards of the 20+ I mentioned "like 50%" of my suggestions? I didn't even recommend ghoul or fleshbag, I just said that it'd be better than portly friar/black bear, but never commended to adding them lol.

Verbannon
Verbannon's picture

It is... arbitrarily 50%. Sorry.

metalchopper

Thank you for you advices :) So I looked over my cards to see what of the mentioned above i have in my colection and this is what i came up with.

1xAir Elemental
2xGatling Gnome
1xMana Sprite
1xNoxious Golem
1xTemplar Warrior
1xSlayer of the Damned
3xBaby Whelp
1xArmorsmith
3xDemolition Golem
2xDwarven Battle Rig
1xFaithful Worshiper
1xThunder Cat
1xSteel Titan
1xVengeful Titan
1xWar Mammoth

2xMana Flask
1xCleanse
3xFire Bolt
2xHoly Blessing
4xShatter
1xSiphon
1xSmelt
2xToxic Concoction
1xLightning Bolt
1xGolemnify
1xFireball
1xPlenty

There may be too many shatters but until i get some of those RTE or some more smelts thats the only way to deal with those pesky gear decks.

Polarius

That's almost worse than your original deck. You almost never want to use 1x of a card, because you'll end up with a very inconsistent deck. Not sure what your card pool is like, but you have some Eve cards so I assume it's half-way decent. Your creatures look ok, but I'd get rid of Mana Sprite and Armorsmith and replace them with the 3/2 Holy guys (or another Rare creature if the cap was restricting you).

For the spells, ditch the mana flasks immediately. Same goes for cleanse. Add another Fire Bolt and two more Holy Blessings in their place. Plenty and the Toxic Concoctions out for 3x more Siphons. That should help a lot.

metalchopper

I see your point. Unfortunately you assume i have 4x of every card out there... well I dont. The only rare creatures I got besides those in the deck are the Fire Golem and the Grand Summoner. I have 2x Lightning Blitz but I dont think these work well with creature deck. So yes i know Fire Bolts, Holy Blessings and Siphons are good unfortunately those are all i have. So this is the best i can come up with considering my collection of cards

Polarius

In that case, my advice is stop buying Eve for now. Core gives you a helluva lot more bang for your buck for a very long time.

Redexa

Cleanse, plenty, armorsmith, and mana flask aren't worth using either. If you find that you absolutely have nothing else to stuff in your deck to reach the minimum card limit, you can use flasks... but take them out as soon as you find an appropriate card that you want.

5 cards, over 10% of your entire deck, dedicated to gear removal is a bit much too. I'd run maybe 2 shatter and a smelt in your deck. Smelts are better, but shatter is necessary to counter bulwark. If you find that you never face against a deck with bulwark, feel free to use only shatters. Return to elements can destroy 2 gears and take up less of your deck, but Belnir doesn't have much mana to begin with, so I wouldn't use them unless you find that smelts and shatter aren't cutting it.

Polarius is right about only singles in your deck. But if you have nothing better to replace them, you haven't got much of a choice. Sometimes you really need copies of a particular card in your deck, but not having enough copies won't stop you from using the ones you have available.

Definitely buy more core packs :) You'll get what you need eventually. Once you have the basics, you can concentrate on adding specialty cards into your deck and eliminating single copies.