ONLINE CHAT GUIDELINES

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Grrwaaa
Grrwaaa's picture
ONLINE CHAT GUIDELINES

ONLINE CHAT GUIDELINES:

1) The Kingdoms community represents players from around the world, with diverse ages, cultures and backgrounds. Please respect your fellow players. Gentle ribbing / taunting is acceptable, but not name-calling or badgering.

2) The following actions can cause you to be removed from the chat immediately and without a warning:

Spamming the chat: This includes both advertisements and repeating chat over and over again.

Explicit Sexual Chat

Racist Chat or chat offensive to players gender, religious beliefs (or lack thereof) or sexual orientation: Such chat may also be reviewed by the developers for removal of your account altogether.

Apparently people love to say, "[something] is gay" and don't realize it is offensive. It is. Don't do it.

Excessive swearing and/or Belligerence: Do NOT bypass the chat filters. Typing the swear word correctly will get filtered. That is OK. Altering it to bypass the filters (example: Fuuuck you; sh!t) is not allowed. Excessive use of all caps is a form of belligerent behavior (shouting) and will not be tolerated. Personal attacks are not allowed.

3) Do not troll the chat. If you are looking to pick a fight or annoy people, you will get a warning to stop. If you do not stop, you will get banned.

4) Do not publically accuse another player of cheating. Players reputations take a long time to build and can be destroyed quickly. If you suspect a player is cheating, send an email to kingdomsccgsupport@ganz.com with all the information you have pertaining to the suspected behaviour and action, if warranted, will be taken.

5) Do not use the chat to solicit for sex or to sexually harass players.

6) Use common sense.

7) If you witness offensive chat behavior and a moderator is not present to fix the problem then you can /mute the offending player to remove him from your feed. Also, you can take a screenshot and post the picture (tinypic.com or any similar posting site) and send the link to kingdomsccgsupport@ganz.com or to a moderator for action.

8) Repeat offenders will be referred to the developers for review and possible long-term account suspension.

WHAT IS A BAN?
A chat ban can range from 1 - 24 hours, although the timer has an interaction with the server reset time that can occasionally cause a ban to last slightly longer. During the ban time, you will still be able to play the game, but you will not be able to contribute to the chat. If you believe you have been banned incorrectly, please contact the developers via email at kingdomsccgsupport@ganz.com.
When your chat is reinstated, feel free to privately contact a moderator to further discuss what went wrong as well.

Knocknuts
Knocknuts's picture

how about chatting in different language.
it could cause confusion. you also dont know what they are talking about or if they are fighting and swearing at each other. if they wanted to chat in different language, they can just add each other.

also excessive use of CAPS
Caps is annoying to people that want to chat in a normal text size. It also brings all attention on you, if you chat in caps, while what the room wants is that we can communicate in a normal matter without one person getting more attention than others.
Although a few words might be allowed to be caps like: “LOL”, “LMAO”, etc., just don’t overuse caps.

Grrwaaa
Grrwaaa's picture

Excessive use of caps added as a subcategory of belligerent behavior (shouting.) As far as foreign language goes, I'll need a developer to comment. I've translated a lot of foreign chat and 99% of it has been just asking harmless questions about the game.

Malhavok

Some of our mods (myself and HotDog mostly) speak 4+ languages and we all use translators from time to time just to make sure things aren't getting out of hand.

MattiasGrendelson
MattiasGrendelson's picture

What about posting recruiting messages with links to the forum, is that considered spamming?

Dr.Bojangles
Dr.Bojangles's picture

Yes Mattias your guild recruiting is a bit spammy. Not that i mind of course. I curse fairly regularly in the chat so i don't really have the right to get pissy about much anyway. The only thing that really bothers me is when someone starts spamming mindless gibberish.

Grrwaaa
Grrwaaa's picture

That is game related, so is OK.

MattiasGrendelson
MattiasGrendelson's picture

I do try not to spam it up too much, I won't ever flood the forums with it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Polarius

Sounds reasonable to me, except how the heck is racism worse than xybering?

Grrwaaa
Grrwaaa's picture

can I get a sticky here, please

markmistr
markmistr's picture

I am so so so sick of the main chat room. And its not like we have the option to turn it off. If you switch to one of the other chat rooms (guild or battle), then you get the annoying red flash when there is a new chat message.

Why not change it so that you have to be friends with people you want to chat with?

Also chat bans do not work. The banned person will just log-in with a newly created account mere seconds after they are banned and continue to perform the same actions that got them banned in the first place.

Please fix your policies or the chat method before we all go crazy.

cewen

+1

hopeprevails
hopeprevails's picture

IP bans need to become a thing, but in the meantime you can type: /leave

markmistr
markmistr's picture

Oh thanks, I didn't realize that. No sooner do I post this and Ganz posted a blog update on the very subject! Hopefully things will improve now.

Malhavok

if you could only chat with friends, you wouldn't make any new kingdoms friends except through guild... I would be sad, I've met some very cool guys and gals that were never in PA. Kingdoms chat is awesome most of the time, it's just we notice the negativity more because it sucks

nouse
nouse's picture

I don't like the main chat room either, because i get attacked from many quarters.

I want a solution. A solution to me is never having to see any of the people who abuse me and always will. So a chat-room that only includes your friends certainly works for me.

*mute* is not good enough for what i face, i don't enjoy muting 30 people as soon as i come in so that none of them are able to get an attack in on me.

irl i don't hang out with ppl i don't get on with, but this is forced upon me in kingdoms when everyone is in one room.

johnnyguitar

... I don't understand. Aren't you already banned? Shouldn't you not be in chat?

Grrwaaa
Grrwaaa's picture

Karl gave him a "perma-ban" which means a chat ban that can only be lifted by a developer. It is not necessarily permanent.

nouse
nouse's picture

I'll go into chat if i choose to, whether you like it or not johnny ;)

johnnyguitar

lol so basically no penalty. I'll put that aside for future reference.

"this just in: prisoners escape whenever they feel like it; guards say 'okay'"

archa1983

nouse wrote:I don't like the main chat room either, because i get attacked from many quarters.
I want a solution. A solution to me is never having to see any of the people who abuse me and always will. So a chat-room that only includes your friends certainly works for me.
*mute* is not good enough for what i face, i don't enjoy muting 30 people as soon as i come in so that none of them are able to get an attack in on me.
irl i don't hang out with ppl i don't get on with, but this is forced upon me in kingdoms when everyone is in one room.

How many of your past friends became the people who ""abuse" you now? If you have 30 friends now. I'm sure you will have alienated 15 of them by next year. You will have no-one left to talk to in a couple of years. Then what?

Grrwaaa
Grrwaaa's picture

I'm not sure - I think he has a good point. Consider - when chat is removed, it is for the sake of the main chat.

I'd be in favor of a player being able to chat to friends and guild while under a chat ban. Friends and guild can always remove them if they find they don't want to put up with the chat.

archa1983

What if you are in the same guild with the person that is harrassing you?
But to be honest I am fine with the suggestion.