Crafting Guide + my thoughts

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
meseary
meseary's picture
Crafting Guide + my thoughts

[New] added what you can get from promo cards in the "tips" section, also edited the amount of essence you can get from epics.

What is Crafting?
crafting is the ability to exchange some of the unwanted cards that you have and turning them into materials to create new cards.

go to collection page select the card you dont want and then click the scrap button, the card turns into either stones or essence depending on the rarity of the card "explained more later on".

what are stones?
stones are the items that determines the type of card you are making.

the stone can be one of the following (Creature, Spell, Gear, Rune Word, Core, Eve, Rise or Spooky Stone)
you get the stone on the card you are scrapping, for example if it was an eve spell card, the stone would be either an eve stone or a spell stone.

from where to get stones?
1- scrapping uncommon cards or above, kindly note that you dont always get a stone though.
2- from daily chests.
3- buying packs with gems.
4- Campaign: there is a Treasure node that gives a random stone each day, also there is a merchant node that sells stone, when you complete a node there is a chance to get a stone, there is also a search node that drops stone, and some rewards gives you stones such as the "step up to the challenge II" gives you a spooky stone.

What is essence?
Essence determines from what kingdom the card would be, and its rarity (common ,uncommon, rare, epic).

there are 7 types of essence (undead, elemental, alchemy, holy, ancient, mystical, Unaligned), the more essence you add to the stone, the higher the rarity of the card would be. "explained later on"

from where to get essence?
1- scrapping common cards or above.
2- from daily chests.
3- buying packs with gems.
4- Campaign: there are 2 wells that give you random essence each day, there is a merchant node that sells essence, when you complete a node there is a chance to get some essence, and there are a few search nodes that drop essence.

when opening packs with gems you get 2-8 essence and a 30-50% chance of getting a stone "thanks to MrTomothy for this input"

Levels:
your level determines the amount of max essence you can use:
lvl 1: 5 exp, and can use up to 10 essence
lvl 2: 20 exp, and can use up to 20 essence
lvl 3: 40 exp, and can use up to 50 essence
lvl 4: 65 exp, and can use up to 100 essence
lvl 5: 110 exp, and can use up to 125 essence
lvl 6: 175 exp and can use up to 180 essence *10% epic chance*
lvl 7: 275 exp, and can use up to 210 essence *20% epic chance*
lvl 8: 425 exp, and can use up to 240 essence *30% epic chance*
lvl 9: 645 exp, and can use up to 270 essence *40% epic chance*
lvl 10: -- exp, and can use up to 300 essence *50% epic chance*

regarding scrapping:
Common: 50% chance to give you 1 essence "you cant get a stone from scrapping commons"
Uncommon: give between 2-6 essence, or around 15% chance a stone instead
Rare: gives between 16-36 essence, or 50% chance to give a stone instead
Epic: gives around 50-100 essence AND a stone "Credits to Nicomad, markmistr, BigMouthBilly, gtmeteor"
Legendary: gives between 150-300 essence AND a stone "Credits to Kensu and levgre"

PS: the %'s ive added are based on my experience only and not a fact.

so based on that we can say Core gold pack is best option to buy to level up crafting, only because it has a 100% rare drop and there is a chance to get an epic from it.

exp gained in crafting:
Common: gives 1 EXP
Uncommmon: gives 3 EXP
Rare: gives 10 EXP
Epic: gives 25 EXP

How much essence is needed for a 100% chance of making a certain rarity of a card:
Common: 5 essence + stone
Uncommon: 25 essence + stone
Rare: 150 essence + stone
Epic: max is 300 essence and those give a 50% chance for epic at max lvl (lvl 10)

so you guys will need to lvl up depending on what you need more stones or essence:
for 150 essence and 30 stones you can get 30 exp, which can be refunded for 0-30 essence
or 150 essence and 6 stone you can get 18 exp, which will refund you a 12-36 essence or chances for some stones
or 150 essence and 1 stone you can get 10 exp, which will refund you 16-36 essence or chance for stone

so basically the more stones you have the better exp you will be getting for the same cost of essence,
now if you are going for rare, might as well go for 180 essence and a 10% chance for epic.

some tips:
Never scrap cards that you dont have 4 copies of, always scrap cards if they EXCEED x4 copies, you never know when those cards can come in handy.

if you are aiming for a spell epic card and you have alot of unaligned essences here is the best thing to do: use a spell stone put 1 essence of the spell card you want lets say for example you are aiming for an alchemy spell card just put 1 alchemy essence and the rest fill it with unaligned, that way you save up your alchemy essences, because there are no spell cards that are unaligned ;)

better use any stone BUT core stone if you want to craft rares and epics, why? so that you have a chance of getting eve rares and epics, unless ofcourse you are aiming for a certain core card.

if you ever get rise/spooky stones, dont use them right away save them till you reach atleast lvl 8 and then try to craft epics with them, its best to save them till you reach lvl 10.

Note that you are unable to craft Rise/spooky cards using Creature/spell/gear/rune ward stones, the only way to craft rise cards is by using rise stone, and crafting Halloween cards you need spooky stones

Promo Cards: they will give the same amount of essence, depending on rarity, but for stones it will only give you "creature/spell/rune word/gear" depending on the card type, meaning you cant get "core/eve/rise/spooky" - "thanks to gtmeteor"

my thoughts:
the thing i hate about this is... if you scrap a gold card you either get a stone or the essence, but for me i want the essence much much more than the stones, so im hoping that the devs either make us pick what we want or make it that you always get essence and with a low chance to get a stone WITH the essence, at this moment i have around 20 stones and 0 essence....

now back to crafting, for a 10% chance of epic you need to use 180 essence, 1 gold core pack will give you an average of 35 essence, so basically you need to buy around 5 gold core packs "and none of them should give you a stone", to try your luck for a 10% chance epic, thats pretty steep.

now im not saying the system is bad, because in the very very very long run, you will be able to make 50% epic card that you want for the cost of 300 essence i presume, which is on lvl 10 crafting, and ofcource you will need to buy ATLEAST 20-25 gold core packs to get that much essence, but hey atleast you will be making the epic you want ;)

If the guide helped you out, please leave a reply to keep this guide at the top, thanks :)

markmistr
markmistr's picture

I overheard beta test player in chat say you get 25 exp for crafting an Epic.

nicomad
nicomad's picture

very nice guide meseary , thank you

Hypersonics

Is it even possible to get enough exp to make a epic?

Princess Heartburn

Thanks for the guide!

At first I was disappointed when I tried out the crafting system. Many of us who'd been playing the game for a while were hoping for a way to convert our unneeded extra cards (especially rares) into rares or epics we actually needed. The disappointing part was realizing I had to scrap my entire collection of extras just to reach the crafting level were rares/epics were possible. The higher levels of crafting seem awesome, but all you get on the way there is more commons + uncommons you already have too many of. Realizing I'd probably given up 5-10 stones because of foiling kind of sucked, too.

I got to level 3 and then decided to sit on the rest of my stones until the Rise set goes live. At least then there is a chance that I can turn those stones into Rise uncommons that I don't have yet. And I eventually came to the same conclusion as meseary: this system will be great in the long run. It will just take another 6 months of playing/grinding packs before the crafting system is actually useful in getting me cards I don't yet have.

bLub

Thank you !!! I just was asking myself many of those questions you answered here because I didnt have enough cards to srcap to test this. Still I would be interested in the best xp/essences ratio for fast lvling. The rune ward thing is the best I guess but what to do if you have no more rune ward stones ?

Also have to agree on the stone and/or essence thing you mentioned

meseary
meseary's picture

if you dont have rune stones then its as i said, it will depend on what you want more essence or stones, in the guide i stated how much exp you can get depending on what you craft, so use that to determine what the best way would be.

bLub

Uhm like I said I want to keep as much essences as possible thats why I want to find out the best exp per essence ratio which isnt pointed out in your guide so far but I might do some research on my own later.

meseary
meseary's picture

if you want to save essence as much as possible, then your best option is to keep crafting commons, it will cost you 1 stone and 5 essence to gain 1 EXP, so 5 exp will be for 25 essence and 5 stones, while 25 essence and 1 stone will give 3 exp and 1 uncommon card.

DarrenCee
DarrenCee's picture

Can anyone answer this:
If you buy the 5k uncommon promos and scrap them to get a promo stone, can a level 6 or above then use that stone to make a werewolf? If so then that would solve the problem of people not being able to buy the halloween pack, very very indirectly.

Dr.Bojangles
Dr.Bojangles's picture

they got spooky stones which im assuming are for the halloween cards.

Fornjotr

the question is, how do you get a spooky stone? you obviously can't scrap the halloween cards as they don't show in the collection pages...

meseary
meseary's picture

hmm interesting, i would like to know that too, i mean what do promo cards give as stones? it would be nice to know, i say best way to find out is to buy some rare promos and turn them, they have around a 50% chance to give a stone.

nicomad
nicomad's picture

i scraped an extra rejuve (yeah got my 5 damn copy, i wished pulled another epic ...) and got 1 core stone 75 alchemy essences for that epic.

Dr.Bojangles
Dr.Bojangles's picture

Ouch i knew that i wouldve just held onto the thing and hope to trade it in if it gets nerfed

meseary
meseary's picture

just be happy you grabbed an epic lol, im on 121 packs so far with no epics >.>

thanks for the info i will add it ^^

Elgard
Elgard's picture

mh, ty for the tips

elchazza

ty meseary, very usefull post!

Kensu
Kensu's picture

I recently scraped two legendaries and here were the results.
Before - http://i.imgur.com/YiHhA.png
After - http://i.imgur.com/itLpt.png

DesertStar27
DesertStar27's picture

How many Pre-Release packs did you buy exactly??

meseary
meseary's picture

oh WOW! 544 essence and 2 stones >.>

thanks for the info :) will add it

MrTomothy
MrTomothy's picture

Great guide! I have two questions:

1) What would be the best essence/pack ratio?
2) How much essence do gem packs yield?

meseary
meseary's picture

core silver pack, but i still prefer buying the gold core pack for a chance for epic

as for question 2, sorry no clue

MrTomothy
MrTomothy's picture

I bought a Rise 3 pack, and here's what I got: A rise stone and 7 mystical essence, 4 elemental essence, and a rise stone and 5 elemental essence.

So yeah, not a lot.

meseary
meseary's picture

ah, thanks ill be adding that.

markmistr
markmistr's picture

Hey, I am at Level 4 crafting and I need 65 XP for Level 5. Not sure how that corresponds with your table above, but the numbers don't match.

meseary
meseary's picture

yeah lvl 3 4 and 5 i wasnt sure about, i went through them fast and didnt get to save the numbers, sorry about that, will change it to 65 instead of 60, sorry for the mistake, and thanks.

aka-Phil

Rather than try to force it to the top, how about it's just a sticky now instead :)

Just until the next Forum Post of the Week is picked.

akerson

More like forum post of the month... Gees

aka-Phil

Weeks are longer in Canada with the sun only coming up every 72 hours during winter.

akerson

Oh okay that makes sense.

meseary
meseary's picture

sticky is awesome, but for some reason each time i add/edit something on the post it goes to the top >.>

markmistr
markmistr's picture

I scrapped an Epic and got 90 essence and a stone.

meseary
meseary's picture

thanks for the info, i updated the numbers a bit ^^

markmistr
markmistr's picture

"Never scrap cards that you dont have 4 copies of, always scrap cards if they EXCEED x4 copies, you never know when those cards can come in handy."

This is an ultra-conservative view. If you are a player that mostly plays limited format, I see no reason not to scrap extra rares down to x3. Even for standard format, there are very few cases where you would want any particular rare x4. Of course there are a few exceptions like QDC, but they are the exception and not the norm.

akerson

It's entirely conservative, and probably because who knows what your future holds. If limited gets trashed for example, and standard is it, are you now SOL for some crafting mats that did nothing for you?

To get the mats that a rare gives is 5k. To get back the rare you scrapped is who knows how many times that.

markmistr
markmistr's picture

Eventually crafting materials will be worth it. Its a long term view...

meseary
meseary's picture

look at it this way, lets say for example you scrapped all the cards that you didnt want like alot of rares in core like preserve, etc... would you be scrapping them if you knew that the devs are thinking of making some changes to the core cards? i dont think you would, because that useless rare can become a great rare after the remake.

or look at it as a different point, rotating arena is supposed to get new kinds of limitations, you never know when that "preserve" becomes a great card for this certain arena.

or maybe that useless card becomes an awesome card when combined with some new cards, for example the new rise set, there are a few core and eve cards that were almost useless, but with the rise cards they became pretty good.

with all the changes the game gets, with a blink of an eye a useless card can become 1 of the best cards in the game in a certain situation, there are alot of cards i never use in my standard deck, but i started using them in rotating arena.

markmistr
markmistr's picture

I completely agree. I don't think anything I said disputes this. I merely stated that I don't think it is completely essential to keep x4 of every card.

I scrap most of my rares in Core and some of my uncommons in all sets down to x3 or even x2 instead of x4 as I see the benefits of the extra materials outweighing the possibility that I might want to use x4 of a certain card in the future. I do keep x4 of all commons as what you get from scrapping them is not worth it.

yh81

i scrap 342 uncommon cards and get 29 stones with 1275 essences
this date may help!

markmistr
markmistr's picture

Quote:"best stones to gain exp with is rune ward stones, why you ask? because there is no common rune ward so you only need 6 unaligned essences to make an uncommon, so basically 1 rune ward stone + 6 essence gives you 3 exp"

With the two new common rune word cards, this is no longer the case.

meseary
meseary's picture

well this guide is out dated, alot has changed since the last update, im just too lazy to update it because it was dead lol, but i guess ill update it all ;)

xankludan
xankludan's picture

Thanks I appreciate it. It would seem if you just want to level up you should use 1 stone + 5 essence, can you confirm that?

meseary
meseary's picture

yeah that will be the best option at the moment to many stone income but so much low essence income so might as well take advantage of the so many extra stones.

Angels
Angels's picture

I think they've to do a little rework on crafting after the new campaing, now we have tone of stone and few essence, it should be possible to change one stone for essence.

Bluemoon2323
Bluemoon2323's picture

Well, you could spend all these stones to increase you level by crafting common and uncommons cards rather than crafting gold. However, I've done the bet to only craft with as much essence as i can, sothat if one day stones can be traded (for essence for exempple), i wouldn't have spared them all for a little xp bonus. Moreover, you take the immediate benefit of some good rares, but at the same time you will be able to craft good epics a little bit later than those who do little crafts and spend all their stones.

akerson

Made a cool chart because i was curious on every essence amt and the EXP yielded from 5 essences to 300 essences.

http://imgur.com/0h3WDMC

Blue line is just the straight average experience earned per essence spent.
Red line is if you scrap the card you make always, the exp earned per NET essence spent. So if you spend 150 essences and make a rare (10 exp), and then scrap the rare for 30 essences, it's 10/120. It ignores stones.

I used 0.53,3.5,13.1,and 74.3 as my average essences yielded per common,uncommon,rare,and epic. Scrapped 160 of each to get that number (10 sets of 16 scraps at a time). It basically agrees with the data mes has within 1 standard deviation (which is good).

Results are not really surprising (crafting commons is best XP return given unlimited stones) but I was surprised that the curve was exponential. Also of note, there's really no difference in XP earned past 100 essences spent -- rough estimate you lose out on about 2xp crafting 1x 300 essence vs 3x 100 essence -- a little under 10% less efficient for those phat lewts (compared to 66% less efficient for 60x 5 vs 1x 300). Also cool to see the huge drop once you get to uncommons only. Also all the extra stones you get from junking rares ("wasted" essence) doesn't really affect your output rate because the margin between the red and blue lines is quite consistent once you're crafting uncommons.

Cool stuff! So basically just craft commons until you're at lv4 to power through to rares for sure, and then go max essences you can the whole way unless you're trying to power some more.

Angels
Angels's picture

The problem is always the lack of essence

Levgre

I scrapped a legendary and only got 160 essence and a stone, so you can add that to the low end of the range.

Princess Heartburn

Thanks again for keeping this guide up to date. Gotta say I hate being on level 5. It's a looong way to level 6 by crafting commons, but there's no way I'm going to dump 125 essence into a craft that still might only get me an uncommon. I think it was cruel to set the 100% rare chance just out of reach for level 5.

So I'm just crafting 6 essence at a time for the slow exp grind. (Yes, it's slightly worse exp return than 5 essence crafts, but that small chance of an uncommon breaks up the monotony). For the first time, I've actually run out of stones.

Dr.Bojangles
Dr.Bojangles's picture

I climbed to level 6 crafting a mix of commons and trying for some uncommons i actually need.

Pages